Friday, June 29, 2012

Talk about type!

In our discussion today we talked about typography. Mastering important fundamental
type design rules will help your school newspapers look professional.
 
Mastering these 10 commandments of type would lead to the promised land of design in print and web. 
  1. Thou shalt understand the key anatomy of type
  2. Thou shat understand type spacing
  3. Thou shalt employ two type families, three if you’re good
  4. Thou shalt not commit type adultery
  5. Thou shalt honor thy H&J
  6. Thou shalt kern every art headline
  7. Thou shalt honor the role of type as information
  8. Thou shalt keep peace between type and grids
  9. Thou shalt respect the impact of color on type
  10. Thou shalt leave the “Hooker” type to kids

From the 10 the one that will make or break your design from my experience as an art director is number 3, using too many fancy typefaces to force your design. Work with a good readable body copy. Then use a font family with varied weights for your headline treatments.

Denise Powell
Bok Technical High School
Philadelphia, PA



 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Denise. This session was very enlightening. Our paper has some real problems with design. I now feel confident in teaching students the basics. I'm going to have to set up the Indesign parameters and dare them to touch them.

    Donna Owen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, thank you for your tips! I feel so fortunate to have had an art director with me at the Institute! I only wish I would have capitalized on your knowledge more! I shall warn you that I will pepper you with design questions this fall probably! Hopefully I can offer some insight to you in return!

    ReplyDelete