Friday, June 29, 2012

Friends for two weeks?

Yeah, maybe. 

Perhaps we were just 'ships that pass in the night' or maybe, just maybe, you want to start a dialogue.

I was considering tonight what feedback I could offer to this opportunity that would be useful.  There is very little I would change.  Our speakers have been impressivve and engaging and the whole conference has been so useful. 

If I could have one thing be different however, it would be more 'free' or slightly structured social time to get to know you all: my two-week friends .  Next year the binder and digital files are going to surely save my life.  But what about two years from now, when everyone is hologramming and I'm thrown in the deep end again?

That is when knowing you beyond the two-week mark will really come in handy.

Teaching is isolating.  My 'co-workers' are often 15 years old.  I have enjoyed knowing people who will happily teach me the wonders of the i-phone on a road trip to Sedona (Thanks Marlo), or help me think about my 'order of operations.'

So stay in touch.  I take comfort knowing you're out there.

Bridget Parker
Seton - La Salle High School
Pittsburgh, PA

The best way to reach me:
bridgetparker35@gmail.com

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Bridget. We'll have to keep posting to our FB page to keep each other in the loop. I feel as you do. I was looking around last night at the ice cream social, and I felt sad that our time together is coming to an end. I've learned much from the institute AND much from my colleagues, too.

    Donna Owen

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the fog rolls in and we walk off into the night, we can say to ourselves that this is the start of a great friendship. Not only will we keep in touch on Facebook, but I also hope we keep blogging and post the link on Facebook. It's fun reading everyone.

    -- Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truthfully, I think we will all be scrambling if hologramming becomes the medium in a few years! We have all been joking about this "two week friends" thing but I can't help but notice how many of us are now FB friends and have sent emails and called each other already. I think we have made life-long friends while here. Everyone here is amazing! If nothing else, I guarantee I will be bouncing ideas, lesson plans and concerns off of all of you for years to come!

    Sarah Noah

    ReplyDelete
  4. We knew you didn't really mean it even if you didn't know it.

    - Sara

    ReplyDelete