Friday, June 29, 2012

Life is too short not to participate.

I have to admit that for as much as I wanted to attend the Reynolds Institute, I was also nervous about a lot of things.  How would I leave my husband and kids for two weeks?  Isn't it still kind of scary to fly across the country and spend two weeks with total strangers? 

Well, my husband and kids survived (of course, we missed each other), and those total strangers were quickly dubbed my "two week friends."  Truth is, those two week friends have not only become a great resource, but I've forged some fantastic friendships that I hope to maintain for a very long time. 
Kelly is one of many friends I made this week!

None of this would happen if I didn't participate! 

It's a message that we need to remember ourselves as we go forth in our lives.  Sure, I've learned a TON of stuff and made great connections here at the Cronkite School, but it doesn't stop there.  Take karaoke.  Sure, it's terrifying if you've never done it before, but when you take the risk and jump in -- participate -- you have a much better time than the spectator.  If that isn't a life lesson, I don't know what is.

I also think it's a message we can give to our students.  So often they want to play it safe.  They sit in their chairs and look to their computers for stories, always inclined to turn to the friends next to them for quotes.  What kind of journalism is that?  They need to get out there!  They need to participate!  That's what good journalists do.  They take a deep breath and approach a stranger who happens to be a team coach, or make a phone call to talk to someone they've never met, and ask the questions they never thought they could ask.   Our students need to take some risks in order to be great, and they'll be glad they did. 

I hope we all continue to participate in life, and pass that lesson on to others.  Imagine the possibilities!
There's nowhere to go but up!

Marlo Spritzer
Southern Lehigh High School
Center Valley, PA

5 comments:

  1. Marlo, great post! It's really difficult to convince students to put themselves out there like this. I would say this is my No. 1 challenge as a journalism teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work extending those moments of growth we experienced into something for the students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say, Rhonda, is that if I jumped in on Karaoke, it would be a room clearing experience. Other than that, ditto for participating ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Marlo. I think you summed up nicely how many of us felt and now feel.

    Donna Owen

    ReplyDelete