Sunday, July 1, 2012

We are not alone

I didn't think it was possible, but words have become more precious to me. They hold more power.

 I've never really had to interview and quote people in print. Now as I listen to conversations, I'm imagining myself attempting to catch the quote exactly on paper. It seems that reporting improves listening skills.

 I love how Gregory Favre said that as journalists, we are listeners. "We are storytellers." He said,  "We are not trained to be first responders." Though we show up before the firefighters and medics.

 His final speech was so empowering. He revitalized this calling in me. He put me right up there with all of you as a journalist. Such power, such responsibility, such a heritage in that call. We are not alone, Mr. Favre so graciously reminded us.

 I'm so excited to begin teaching students this power of reporting and precise listening.

 So may we consider every word as precious as we rush into each situation to report truth with accuracy, as we live up to this calling, knowing that we are never alone.

Stephanie Platter
King's High School
Seattle, Wash

No comments:

Post a Comment