Saturday, June 30, 2012

Size doesn't matter, typeface does

I can't tell you how many times my editors would go through the copy in our papers and to maintain spacing in the page they would alter the leading or the kerning. It drove me up the wall because I saw the difference. I saw what it looked like on the page when we printed it and it was tacky. I didn't say much then because I was uncomfortable and didn't feel like I knew much, but boy do I know better now!

If anything that is the greatest lesson I have learned or feel better about - confidence (beyond my other blog haha). I have never felt more confident and excited about teaching in my life.
Now I feel like I'm actually ready to teach and be an authoritative figure to my students about where I stand. Now I know what my role is.
I can use the vocabulary that we've been given over these past two weeks and sound like I know what I'm talking about two.

I also want to comment that Favre made me realize that the power to communicate well, that the power to communicate poetically yet effectively is still the most powerful tool anyone can have. Favre put in elegant terms our charges - to take what we've learned and turn it into reality.
The power that journalism and its skills gives to our students is the ability to communicate and codeswitch. Student journalists under our care will hopefully be better able to speak the right language to the right people. Hopefully they will be able to pick and choose how they present their point and information better than if they hadn't worked with us.

Bring it on...

Hannah Sagaser
Mandan High School
Mandan, ND

No comments:

Post a Comment