Thursday, June 28, 2012

SPORTS?!?

AGHH! Sports is my worst nightmare as a an adviser. This isn't because I don't like sports, I love them. But I really struggle to get my students motivated to go to the games let alone to come up with ANYTHING to put on our sports page.

Students will say their doing a review of the upcoming season and then submit a small paragraph of information only containing stats. They constantly say, "there's nothing else we can do!"

Beyond going to the game and covering it, I didn't know what to tell students. I didn't know how to generate sports article ideas. I was at a loss every month when we started pitching our ideas.

I am super grateful for Alan's section on Sports Writing today. Not only do I have an idea of several different types of sports stories my students could brainstorm, I have a list of over 20 possible stories that we came up with as a class.

I feel as if I was given a valuable tool today - an idea of how to cover sports so that our newspaper will actually do the athletes, fans, coaches, parents and reading community justice.

Sarah Noah
Goshen High School
Goshen, Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment